Saturday, November 17, 2012

Holiday Eating - Trying to Eat as Clean and Paleo as Possible (and excited about it)

Every year I start to fall off the bandwagon like most people. Tasty, fatty, sugary foods are everywhere and I just want all of it. I love food, I really do, and I'm a sugar addict. I am a little worried going into the holiday season, especially as I've been able to maintain my weight loss for several months now. Instead of wringing my hands, overindulging and beating myself up, a cycle I'm very used to, I am starting to be a bit more proactive.

This morning I woke up and said to my husband "Let's workout together today." Not sure which one of us was more surprised.




Then I started planning what kinds of food I want to prepare for the Thanksgiving potluck my bff is hosting. I started searching through recipes and found that I was most attracted to paleo recipes. My body and mind are starting to reject the notion that the only way you can enjoy the holiday meals is eating like total crap. There have been a few sites that have been particularly helpful, including PaleOmg, NomNomPaleo, and Whole9. So far I'm thinking of making:

- Roasted brussel sprouts tossed in garlic, lime and sea salt (a group fave)
- Warm spinach and prosciutto salad courtesy of the Whole 9
- Sweet potato gratin with bacon
- Garlic Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes

I'm also thinking about attempting a paleo and vegan pumpkin cheesecake that my pal Dalyn (@rockindee13 on twitter) shared with me.

I'm excited that for the first time that I can ever remember holidays don't bring up feelings of shame and anxiety related to my weight, food, social gatherings, etc. I feel more in control, more empowered and more enthusiastically challenged to meet my goals while enjoying time with family and friends.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

12 comments:

  1. The menu sounds yummy! I can't wait to see pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited too! Pictures from the farmers market to the dinner table :)

      Delete
  2. Great for the recipes!!! I need to try the wonderful Sweet potato gratin with bacon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet but it looks so fabulous that you can't go wrong :)

      Delete
  3. It's so true, it's very hard to diet during the holidays. Especially when visiting with family and wanting to enjoy their tasty cooking. Good for you, for taking the initiative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BB doesn't diet she'll just be trying these foods because they look great. Good choice in enticing us- BB2U.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dishes that you plan to prepare sound so delicious! Looking forward to seeing pictures of your yummy dishes! My sister always like to include a mixture of steamed vegetables to our Thanksgiving luncheon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Es fabuloso no tener que estresarte por la comida de la temporada...

    ReplyDelete